PLEASE REFER TO PLATFORM GENERAL GUIDELINES BEFORE PREPARING FOR FAMOUS SPEECH OR FAMOUS SERMON.
The contestant chooses a speech, sermon, or article written or delivered by another person, usually of public significance.
1. Contestants must present speeches, sermons, or articles originally given by famous men.
2. The time limit is four (4) minutes minimum to eight (8) minutes maximum. In the event that a selection would exceed the limit if delivered in its entirety, the contestant should choose an excerpt to present which will fit the time limit. The excerpt must be presented exactly as written/delivered by the original speaker. The contestant is not allowed to edit the selection or excerpt in his own words. If competition piece does not meet the four (4) minute minimum or exceeds the eight (8) minute maximum time limit, the contestant will receive a .5-point deduction for any portion of thirty (30) second increments outside the allotted time. (For example, a piece timed at 3:42 would receive a half-point deduction from the total score. A piece of 8:42 would receive a deduction of a full point from the total score.)
3. Suggested speakers: George Washington, Patrick Henry, Jonathan Edwards, William Jennings Bryan, Charles H. Spurgeon, J. Harold Smith, General Douglas MacArthur, Winston Churchill, Ronald Reagan, S. M. Lockridge, Jess Hill, Charles Mims, Johnny Johnson.
4. No singing allowed during the speech.
5. The speech is to be memorized.
6. Contestants may wear a costume, but props are not permitted.